Tuesday, April 1, 2008

My Milk Chocolate love

I feel like writing about music this morning. I happened to press the wrong station this morning and got a sampling of Russ Parr :( I really hope adults are not still listening to that mess. I listen to Steve Harvey so I can hear the Stawberry Letter when I drive to work but after that I pretty much don't listen to the radio. I listen to CDs and such that I have compiled from my favorite artists.

Here are my favorite artists right now and my favorite song they've written and performed:

Ms. Nina Simone - this woman truly does defecate on the microphone (Lauryn Hill's words)
-You'd be so nice to come home to - Listen to it over and over again but focus on the different instruments. She's incredible. Indescribable.

Rachelle Ferrell - the new face of classic jazz. Loving her range, her expression, her timbre (lol music appreciation word)
- My funny Valentine - No forreal, I have heard dozens of arrangements but this chick just...

Luther Vandross - I was too young to really appreciate him when he was here but let me tell you, this man singin some love songs.
-Here and Now - Everyone knows this. The words.....

Jill Scott - She helped me feel comfortable with my sensual spirit (thats different from sexuality).
- Only You - from her newest album. I can actually hit all the notes in this one (lol) so I feel it more.

Raheem Devaughn - He aint much to look at but he is much to listen to. He and my next artist can both occasionally stir up a funny feeling inside me.
- Desire, When Hearts beat as one - When I used to enjoy an occasional glass of wine, I'd sip something with my patchouli oil burning....write what I feel music.

Mr. Maxwell - He gets a 'Mr' in front of his name. I know the words to every single song he has ever sung. I don't even know how to describe what he does to me with his music. I saw him in concert, he was dancing behind a curtain with a spotlight on his silhouette...didn't make no sense. - Symptom Unknown, Silently- I shudder to think of these two songs.

Carlos Santana - He can strum. lol.
-El Farol - no lyrics but it still speaks to me.

Erykah Badu - I like how she just don't care.
-Orange Moon - I don't even know why.

Sade - almost forgot my girl!
-All about our love - I listen to it when I drive aimlessly. Feel like I'm flying sometimes.

Benjamin Andre - no forreal I love him. All jokes aside. This feeling I have for him is very very real. I don't have celebrity crushes besides this man right here. This is borderline lusting but I think he is the epitome of sexiness. Just mmmm. Milk Chocolate love. Swagger for days. Wears what the heck he wants and has the nerve to look good in it. Just Mr. 3000 I am yours. LOL.
-Prototype- well duh. The way this song makes me feel will have to be the way the next person I date makes me feel or I'm waving my finger at him.

Other artists to listen to - Lauryn Hill, Bob Marley, Kem, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Sarah Vaughn, Norah Jones, Prince, Pink Floyd, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, The Roots, Fertile Ground, Frank Sinatra to name a few

So I'm talking about music today so people can possible go outside of what the radio plays. This Souljaboy, FloRida , Lil Mama crap is giving me hives. It's almost insulting to be constantly entertained by that type of music. It's fun once in a blue moon or maybe at college parties but not for adults. It rots your brains.

Music for thought.

5 comments:

T said...

I actually dont like any slow songs...so the quick tempo'd soulja boy "crap" works just fine for me. But then again I also like clubs and house parties and such.
I think it just depends on the person and how serious you wanna or think you wanna be. I can only listen to someone drone on through a slow song for so long. My pulse is faster than that. I do agree that the line dances(YES THE SOULJA BOY IS A LINE DANCE) are getting a bit out of control(i reference the chicken noodle soup dance) but it's entertaining to watch people do it.

Unknown said...

So i begun to read the blog cuz i thought I was referenced... "Milk Chocolate" (common nick name around these parts lololol) but then its talking about slow songs. But im with T on this one..
I love the faster songs but I do like a selected few slow ones..
But come on... Russ Parr?? Versus Steve Harvey? Pleas get off of 96.3 please and thank you... management.

LudaKhris said...

I'm not even surprised. I think you both should open up to the rest of what music has to offer. There's a very broad range of music out there...way beyond what you hear in the club. Honestly if thats all your musical interests consist of "club hits" then your probably either not really into music or your just really into clubs (Both of which causes me concern).

LudaKhris said...

Oh and the title made me think of that "body part too"....guess our minds are all in the gutter. Boyz will be boyz.

NicHova said...

I think the discrepancy lies in the type of person I am. I've become quite spiritual and in tune with myself and those ignant songs are a disruption in daily life.
Now I went out New Year's Eve and lit the party on fire....but it's not a way of life. I would never be listening to that while I read a book or do my nails.
At the gym I'll crank some Outkast for that extra boost but that's it.
And Russ Parr was my man back in HIGH SCHOOL. I cannot tolerate him anymore. Steve Harvey is funny to me and I can hear a few intelligent words at the same time. Russ is gross.
Sorry to disappoint Night Devil the blog wasn't about you. lol.