Monday, June 9, 2008

U-Turning towards Excellence

I attended a truly classy affair Sunday. A young woman from my church graduated from Yale with her MD/PhD. Coincidentally she is an M4. Most of my friends know what I mean by that.

I felt elevated to be in the company of such a person. And I know alot of successful people but she is truly unique. She's humble.

Truly humble. She's beautiful and smart and successful and humble. Now that is hard to find. I know NO ONE like this. Not because I don't know people with those characteristics but because she is at the top of her game in all four. That is what I've never seen before.

I suppose she is the epitome of what I've always wanted to be. I've been close before. When I was at my absolute worst part of my life I was humbled. Had no choice. And when I realized that there was no excellence in me on my own but that it was all Divine, I became a creature of beauty. I was saved by those around me. NO ONE can do this life thing on their own.

I got sidetracked on the road to excellence but I got back on path this weekend....Updates to follow on that story as it progresses.

But isn't excellence more than academic degrees and fat paychecks? It has to be. I wanna be an excellent person. I've got a ways to go. I wanted to be excellent and lost that drive. I know why now. I didn't surround myself with the excellence I wanted to emulate. I only kept one type close to me and alienated the rest.

With my spirit renewed and cleaned I understand that true excellence is embodied in those who love and give effortlessly. Those who have much and give more. I want to give but I am not in the position to do so yet; not the way I want to. I want to give my time, my money, my affection, my advice, my story, my all.

If I can do that one day I'll have been self actualized and excellent with the one life I've been given to live.

First steps have been taken. It was a U-turn.

No comments: